Ashley Lemmon is the founder and CEO of Nora Swimwear, and co-founder of the new brother brand FYN Swim. Born on the sultry island of Bermuda, she always had a deep connection to the ocean, sand, and sun. The roots of Nora Swimwear began in late 2015 after Ashley read Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso and started sketching swimsuit designs from her home. Fast forward three years, and she’s released multiple collections, worked with influencers around the world, and is quickly making a name for herself in the fashion industry.
"When you put yourself in the limelight, or at least try to, it's kind of an opportunity for other women to either push you up or try to pull you down."
In this episode:
- how she navigates controversial waters as a swimwear designer in the age of body positivity
- why criticisms of her business led her to burn out
- the rules she put in place to maintain her mental health
- why she kept Nora a secret for the first 6 months of starting the business
- Ashley's advice on moving to a new city and starting a new chapter
- her thoughts on how her own body type plays a role in it all
- our mutual obsession with Ragdoll cats and why pets are the best self-care
"I knew that I'm not going to be able to satisfy absolutely everyone; it's the dream to be able to, obviously, but at the end of the day, I just had to accept that and just know that I'm only human. I can try my best and improve along the way. It's stepping stones, right?"